Saturday 4 February 2012

Low Angle Jointer for Guitar Soundboard and Backs

Jointing Guitar Soundboards and Backs
It is essential to have a good joint when gluing up fronts and backs. Here I have used two contrasting woods to show what a good joint straight from the plane. I have a large jointer but wanted a low angle plane for a particular job and as low angle planes of a sufficient length are a ridiculous price I made a quick simple and very efficient plane to do the job. The overall length is 380mm 190mm to the mouth. I just used two planks of 10mm mahogany stuck together for the body. I also added a maple sole to be harder wearing. The wedge is of wenge, note the scallop on the wedge to allow clearance for the shavings. The plane is set at an angle of 20 degrees. The reason that there are two slots is that I can also use it as a scraper plane.


Close up of mouth the plane iron is a surplus rebate plane iron. The only thing I need to do is add a knob to make it easier to use. But it works fine and does give a very good joint for not much effort. If you need any more details just email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment